Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Secret.

On Thursday, I got an amazing opportunity to go help teach English to the faculty of medicine at Khon Kaen University.
I had met the English teacher, Karen, at an English speaking church the weekend before. Karen is a nurse who volunteered with the UN at a Cambodian refugee in Thailand before she decided to start teaching.
She was kind enough to give me a tour of the hospital at Khon Kaen University.

Other hospitals recommend this hospital to patients if they need specific care or surgery. Very much like Ronald Reagan Hospital.  But, boy, was it different from RRH.

The hospital is divided into many different clinics.  The clinics are always packed and it usually takes up to two hours to get seen by a doctor, at the least.
The ICUs are big rooms with numerous beds only separated by curtains.
There were patients in beds in the hall way.

I am pre-med but I'm so ignorant about health care in general.
And I say ignorant because I choose not to know more.
For awhile now I've been secretly rethinking medicine. Not so secret anymore. Well, I postponed my MCAT twice. I thought that if I took my MCAT it would secure my future. And that was just scary. To know for sure what I would be doing for the next ten years and more. Every detail.
Scared that I wasn't doing medicine for the right reasons. I could forsee a mid life crisis.

Being here in Thailand teaching English, I didn't think I was going to encounter medicine at all. Maybe only if I caught typhoid or malaria.
But from my experiences so far, I feel like there is so much that I can give, and give in the field of medicine.
Before I left, I had really been asking God for guidance in this area of my life.
Please continue to pray for me!
Obviously I still don't have everything figured out but this is a good start.



I went to the night market. I think my favorite form of transportation in Thailand is by motorcycle. That's right.


My first class at Khon Kaen University.

It was Mother's Day this weekend in Thailand (the queen's bday).


I went to a King Cobra Show or snake show. I think I'm definitely a slytherin.

This kid is also a Slytherin. He's a parselmouth.


I went to the zoo with the family. And got ravaged by mosquitos.

 Khon Kaen University.


 Went to another market.  One of my student with his baby and his wife :)


Ginormous Cotton Candy


Would you like a side of insects with your rice? I puked a little in my mouth. 


I've decided that this is my favorite Thai fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment